Wednesday, August 31, 2011

How It All Went Down

Being pregnant is not my favorite thing.  Being pregnant in the summer is really not my favorite thing.  But I survived!!  I felt a lot of anxiety about being prepared for little Zachary to join our family.  Seeing as Trey came at 36 weeks, I wanted to be ready by then, although I had a feeling this little guy wasn't coming early.  Not to mention that Max was out of town during my 36th week, so we could have had 2 births in a row that Max missed.  Anyway, we had everything ready by mid-June.  I was SO bored after this.  I made long to do lists every day to keep myself busy and tried to entertain the kids, since it has gotten much more difficult while carting a newborn around.

Last pregnancy picture!  HOORAY!
July 15th, the day of the scheduled c-section, FINALLY came.  I was so, so anxious.  I had not expected to have a c-section with Halle and Trey came so early, I didn't even have time to worry about the surgery.  This time I had plenty of time to worry about it.  Halle and Trey spent the night at my parent's house the night before since we had to be at the hospital at 5:00 am.  After dropping them off Max and I went out to dinner and then went home to try to sleep.  It didn't happen.  I probably slept for an hour total, which didn't help my anxiety.  

When we got to the hospital I got all hooked up to the IV and prepped for the surgery.  At one point the nurse came in to give me 2 different medications to help with nausea.  She said the combination of them may make me a little anxious and nervous.  Um..I FLIPPED out.  I was already anxious and the medicine sent me over the edge.  I got out of bed and was shaking and could not sit still.  I decided that I wasn't going to have a c-section.  I didn't know how I was going to get that baby out of me , but we were going home and I was not having surgery.  After about 20 minutes of freaking out and freaking Max out, I finally calmed down.  The nurses told me next time it would probably be better to get nauseous than go through that again.  I agree!

The surgery went great.  Max decided to stand up and watch the whole thing and has since proceeded to tell me all about it.  I still think it is weird to have surgery while awake.  The radio was going, my doctor and the anesthesiologist were having the funniest conversations about how stupid the government was.  They told me it was a good thing that they weren't talking about me and that they were talking at all.  Very strange.  Anyway, little Zachary was perfect as could be.  He even got to come into the recovery room with me, which made me so happy.  I think that is the worst part of a c-section is having to send your baby away right after having him.  He went and got cleaned up quickly and then came back to me.  This didn't happen with either of my other kids and it was awesome!
My newest little angel.  I love those first few moments.  It's so amazing to finally meet the little person you have been carrying and dreaming about!

I dragged out my hospital stay as long as possible.  I had him on Friday morning and finally went home on Tuesday morning.  It was also awesome.  I love the hospital.  I am weird.  They started asking me on Sunday when I wanted to go home and I kept telling them that I was staying until the insurance kicked me out.  :)  I felt so great after my c-section that I was doing laps around the floor by Saturday, so they just assumed I would be going home fast.  Wrong!!!  It was like a vacation for me.
Finally going home!
My recovery was for the most part amazing.  It was hard to keep myself from doing too much when I was feeling pretty much 100%.  I wouldn't choose to have c-sections (obviously), but having a planned c-section is so much better than labor AND a c-section.  And I would pretty much doing anything needed to get my babies here happy and healthy.  Definitely best delivery yet!

3 comments:

Jolley's said...

First of all, Congrats! He is darling! (and you look great!)
And secondly, I am JUST like you when it comes to staying at the hospital--I love it! When else do you get to push a button and someone brings something to you??

Christina said...

What a wonderful birth story--I love hearing all the details! Congrats on Zachary--and congrats on the baby blessing today. He is such an adorable baby.

ps. when did blogs become uncool? I am so behind the times. :)

Celeste said...

So glad everything went well. I'm in the same boat with the c-sections. I'm really worried about a 3rd someday and being so worried and having it planned and time for stressing out. Either way, he got here and you're all doing great which is the important part.